08 April 2009

The second impression in Te Tuhi

27/03/09
addition

My second impression in Te Tuhi is the “wooden” chair which was made by
Glen Hayward. The chair was looked realistic and just like the normal chair that we usually sit in the public library, school, and so on. Also the funny thing was a sign fastened behind the object said “don’t sit on it”, if I did not see the sign I will totally sit on that “chair”, and fell comfortable enjoy sitting, because it looks like a normal chair and hard to recognize what is different between common chair and the “fake” chair. I thought it was a greatest design that people could not figure out the real and the fake. Overall, I had a great time to watch the art works in Te Tuhi.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, Thank you for adding this extra bit. I appreciate the work! I think the point of Hayward's chair is that you could probably have sat on it, it's made of wood and wouldn't break (I don't think). But he has DECIDED it's an artwork, not a functional object, kind of like the way Marcel Duchamp DECIDED that his "fountain" was no longer a functioning men's urinal, but an artwork. Does that make sense? TX

    ReplyDelete